College of Physicians of Quebec declares war on IgG Food Sensitivity Testing

 In Health

Using of IgG “food-sensitivity” testing
By the Investigations Committee of the CMQ

In recent years, some laboratories have been offering specific dose immunoglobulin G “food-sensitivity". In Canada, laboratories offer this test under various trade names, including Hemocode ™, Imupro®, RSA FST ™ and Genarrayt®.

Laboratories that are promoting these tests present scientific data that appears as if it were a breakthrough in the assessment of intolerances or food allergies, even though this data is not scientifically validated. It is a leap to establish a link between the levels of specific serum IgG to food that is linked to migraines, back pain, psoriasis, acne, diarrhea and constipation, in additon to chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.

The College wishes to warn its members against this practice because there is no valid scientific evidence to support the use of these tests in the investigation of an allergy or food intolerance or any other clinical syndrome.

The Code of Ethics requires general practice physicians to practice their profession in accordance with scientific principles. They must exercise judgment when incorporating new diagnostic and therapeutic tools in their clinical practices. They also need to be particularly critical regarding science-related data coming from unrecognized sources or that are part of the promotional material of a service provider, such as a laboratory. Moreover, they must only order a test if it is medically necessary.1 Otherwise, they will be subject to an investigation by the Investigation and Oversight Department which may result in the filing of a disciplinary complaint.

In 2007, the Association of Allergists and Immunologists of Quebec, the Association of Gastroenterologists of Québec and the Quebec Association of Dermatologists jointly released a statement on the subject in which they made the same warnings.

For more information about the investigation of a person with an array of food intolerances or allergies, the doctor should consult a colleague in the specialty concerned.

Original French Article

Discuss in the CIMA Forum
Adam Gavsie, MD
Medical Director of The Montreal Centre for Integrative Medicine Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine, McGill University